Dear Middle School Parents,
I am excited to have the buildings on campus buzzing with activity and classes in a few short weeks! To our new families, welcome! To our returning families, welcome back! Our teachers, staff, and administration have been hard at work learning and preparing for the upcoming school year. We look forward to a great year.
As we march towards the opening day of school on Monday, August 26, there are some school forms that need to be completed. Please see the directions and links below. Most forms need to be completed before or very near to the start of the school year.
Hopefully, you are excited about the opportunities that lay ahead for our division, our students, and for the Academy as a whole. Our faculty, staff, and administration are excited and ready to get back to teaching and learning alongside the students.
Should you have additional questions or need further assistance please call the Middle School Main Office at 610-866-6677.
- To log in, click on the red myMA button located in the top right corner of the homepage (www.moravianacademy.org).
- Enter your username and password. If you have already logged in, your username and password have not changed. If this is your first time logging in, click on the link “Forgot Login or First Time Logging In” to create your username and password.
- Once you are logged in, you will see a bar across the top with personalized links that alert you to the forms you will need to complete. Simply click on the link to start completing the forms. Some of the data fields may pre-populate with the personal information that we have on file based on the forms you submitted for the previous school year.
- Some medical forms still require a physician signature. These forms will need to be downloaded and printed. Please return the forms requiring a physician signature to the Middle School Main Office.
- For students entering sixth grade, you are required to have:
- Pennsylvania Physical Examination of School Age Student Report (Due by August 27 and can be up to a year before the due date and signed by a medical provider)
- For students entering seventh grade, you are required to have
- Pennsylvania Private Dentist Report (Due by October 1)
- Adacel (tetanus shot)
- MCV (meningococcal vaccine).
- New students require an immunization record, a physical form, and a dental form regardless of which grade they may be entering the Middle School.
- For students entering sixth grade, you are required to have:
Click on Directories to view and edit your family’s contact information. To do this, search for your name in the Parent Directory and under “Options” select “Contact Card” (to edit, click on the pencil icon located in the top right corner). Please note: the email address listed on your Contact Card is the address used for school-wide email messages, as well as sending progress reports and report cards. It is important to keep these up to date.
While you are logged into the portal, you may wish to click on Calendar to view upcoming events for the school year. Select the event categories you wish to view in the left-hand sidebar.
Advisory Start Time
Advisory will occur each morning from 8:05 – 8:25 am. These sessions will focus on daily announcements and community circles using the Developmental Designs model. Students are expected to arrive at school on-time and report to their advisory. The first academic class period begins at 8:30 am.
Advisory Groups (Homerooms)
All students will be receiving their advisory placements the week of August 12. Be on the lookout for postcards in the US Mail.
- 6th-grade advisors are Mrs. Stoudt/Mrs. Quinn, Mrs. Siegfried, Mrs. Long, Ms. Martens, Mrs. Leyesa and Mr. McEnroe
- 7th-grade advisors are Mr. Lucas, Mr. Brennan, Ms. Crivellaro, Mr. McKay, and Mrs. Daniels
- 8th-grade advisors are Mr. Walp, Mr. Messman, Mrs. Turcotte, Mr. Diehl, and Mrs. Bulman
Student Class Schedules
All student schedules will be finalized shortly and a link to view a student’s schedule will be communicated on August 15th. Students will be able to see their schedules online using myMA. Specific instructions will be provided for students and families in order to access this information. Should schedule questions arise, please contact the Middle School Main Office at 610-866-6677.
The Middle School will be supplying customized student planners to each student in Grades 6, 7 and 8. All letter days are clearly marked in the planner. Planners are expected to be used to keep track of homework assignments and prepare in advance for assessments.
There are specific class supply requests for each grade level. Click on the link below based on your student’s grade level. These lists are also included online in the Middle School Resources Board.
Ms. Veronica Guevara arrives at Moravian to be our new Spanish Humanities teacher in the Lower and Middle School. She will create a new course of studies for the post-immersion students starting in fifth grade, be a co-leader for a fifth-grade bilingual homeroom, and teach two sections of seventh grade Spanish. Ms. Guevara is excited to join the MA community. Ms. Guevara comes to Moravian with a wealth of experience, including previous positions teaching Spanish for over 22 years at three independent schools. Ms. Guevara is a passionate teacher with deep experience writing curriculum. At previous schools, she also served as the Middle School Innovative Mentor Teacher and planned and developed a middle school cultural exchange program and led numerous international student trips to Spanish-speaking countries around the world.
Ms. Janet Zapata will join the Middle School as our new Divisional Assistant. Ms. Zapata arrives at Moravian with a wealth of experience, including serving in previous academic settings. At Lehigh University, she worked in the Office of International Affairs serving as the primary liaison between students, faculty, and offices for the study abroad program. In this role, she supported the director, associate director, and faculty in many roles, including database training, event management, hiring, updating and maintaining webpages, social media, and weekly newsletters, and collaborating with students and parents. In addition, she also served as Secretary to the Dean’s Office and as Coordinator for the Modern Languages and Literatures Department, both also at Lehigh. She is a graduate of DeSales University.
Mr. Matthew Laubscher will join the Moravian community as Head Librarian for the Lower and Middle Schools. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education with a concentration in Social Studies from Nyack College and a Master of Library and Information Science from Rutgers University. Currently, Matt is an adjunct professor at Kutztown University having previously served as an elementary school librarian in the Long Hill Township School District in New Jersey, as well as a high school librarian at the Bound Brook High School in New Jersey.
School Uniform Boutique is Open
For those wishing to purchase gently used school uniforms, please come by the Middle School Main Office between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM. Items purchased will be billed to the student account.
Middle School Student-Parent Handbook
Here is the 2019-2020 handbook. Please review. New information has been added including updates to the dress code, discipline policy, daily start time, and cell phone policy. The handbook is also included online in the Middle School Resources Board.
Important Upcoming Dates
- Monday, August 19: First Day of MS Preseason Athletic Practices
- Monday, August 26: Opening Day of School
- Tuesday, August 27: All-School Chapel *Formal School Uniforms Required
- Thursday, August 29: Back-to-School Dance, 7:00-9:00 pm, 7E Cafetorium
- Friday, August 30: Labor Day Weekend, School Closed
- Monday, September 2: Labor Day Weekend, School Closed
- Wednesday, September 4: MS Picture Day *Formal School Uniforms Required
- Friday, September 13: Red & Gold Games
- Wednesday, September 25: MS Parents’ Night, 6:30 pm, 7E Cafetorium
Information from the Office of Institutional Advancement
At Moravian Academy, there are many opportunities for parents and friends to get involved in activities that enhance the community and the student experience. Today, we ask that you go to the following links and get involved by updating your contact information, adding the names of grandparents for Grandparents events in November, and signing up for many of our volunteer opportunities and activities.
- Sign up to volunteer, CLICK HERE
- Sign up for the 5K Fun Run/Walk on October 5, CLICK HERE
- To participate in the Golf Outing or to sponsor the event, CLICK HERE
- Submit grandparent information, CLICK HERE
- For more information on the opening Back-to-School Picnic on August 25 and to RSVP, CLICK HERE
- Moravian Connect is a way to interact with alumni, parents, and others in our community, to sign up, CLICK HERE
- Purchase your Moravian Academy gear, CLICK HERE