On Tuesday morning, Mrs. Shea Andriko and I welcomed an engaged group of parents to discuss literacy initiatives at the Lower School.
Please enjoy a “window into the classrooms” through Mrs. Andriko’s video below about the Reading Workshop program, as well as the Powerpoint presentation used to guide and inform our conversations.Personalized Learning
Additional discussion points inspired by our personal learning conversation included:
- The Lucy Calkins reading workshop is sparking engaged reading, thinking and problem-solving.
- Spanish Immersion classrooms utilize benchmarking and workshop methods, but supplement silent reading with small group or paired reading. Speaking, listening and reading the second language continues to strengthen along with the reading skills.
- Text characteristics, student choices and Fountas and Pinnell benchmarked reading levels are requested to be shared by teachers in report cards and/or conferences.
- Earlier conferences this year allowed for earlier teacher feedback which is beneficial, but additional concrete detail would also be appreciated.
- It was suggested that nightly reading and First in Math homework be included in the total number of minutes assigned each night. Explicit instructions by the teacher are helpful.
- Developmental Designs methods are helping students strengthen self-regulation where listening and compromise can be experienced over majority rule.